Unbiased Market Experts
In our consulting role, ESAI routinely serves as the market expert in support of power asset transactions. We have extensive experience working for buyers, sellers, and lenders in support of asset sales, equity raises, and debt financing for all types of power plants, including wind, solar, gas-fired CCGTs, peaking facilities, coal-fired plants, hydro, and nuclear assets.
Over the past 20 years, ESAI’s experts have supported hundreds of transactions in PJM, NYISO and ISO-New England and have provided detailed forecasts for almost every major asset in these regions.
In addition to our consulting work, ESAI provides outlooks and analyses via our primary power market research, available to companies on a subscription basis. In support of these weekly, monthly and quarterly reports, we follow all major market and regulatory developments in PJM, NYISO, and ISO-New England and maintain a current, detailed market outlook for each location within these regions.
This on-going research and analysis allow us to leverage our proprietary market forecasting models and market intelligence in project consulting work, including analytical support of companies buying or selling an asset. Unlike other consulting firms, ESAI Power gives customers the unvarnished truth. We publish our forward curves in our client-published market reports, and any custom consulting work is enhanced by our existing market data and analysis.
This combination of publication and consulting business lines provides ESAI with several unique advantages for supporting asset sales, these include:
- Deep Expertise in Northeast Wholesale Power Markets – For the past 20 years, every month, every quarter, ESAI Power analysts have been producing monthly and quarterly price forecasts and assessments in PJM, NYISO and ISO-New England. ESAI is unmatched in terms of depth and experience covering the Northeast wholesale power markets. ESAI experts work with investors and generation owners on a wide range of topics, including asset valuation, due diligence, strategic planning and regulatory support.
- Capacity, Transmission, Emissions, Congestion, and Renewables Specific Experience – ESAI has been deeply involved supporting participants in PJM, NYISO, and ISO-NE in relation to the Capacity Markets and capacity policy issues, Transmission investment and development in the context of RTO planning, Emissions price forecasts, the RGGI Program, and Tier 1 REC Pricing, Congestion and zonal pricing dynamics. ESAI experts have a deep understanding of past market developments and the expected impact and key uncertainties associated with the regional Capacity and Energy markets.
- Independent third-party experts – We work for a wide range of market participant with differing objectives and interest. Clients frequently note that our forecasts are balanced and credible, and that our market reports objectively highlight the uncertainties and on-going developments in the relevant market, along with the associated upside potential and risks.
- On the Pulse of the Market – Our views are well-informed by routine feedback from our clients who are actively participating as buyers, seller, or lenders. We understand and help shape how participants view different investment theses and key investment considerations, what issues they perceive as significant risks, and where they see valuable opportunities.
- Research Basis – Our analysts leverage a solid base of data and knowledge related to key factors driving market fluctuations, such as generator additions and retirements; transmission projects and outages; Demand Response (DR); impact of compliance with environmental regulations on the generator stack; generator outages; demand patterns; fuel pricing; natural gas basis issues; and regulatory insights and risk.
- Energy Analytics – ESAI leverages multiple analytical tools for energy, capacity and congestion analysis, including the AURORAxmp nodal production cost model and the Power World optimal power flow simulation tool.
- LMP Market Analysis – The ESAI team’s collective experience with modeling LMP markets and monitoring and forecasting long-term energy and capacity prices, including on a routine basis through Northeast EnergyWatchTM and Capacity WatchTM;
Free Trial Report Request
Please visit our Free Trial Report Request form to request up to (3) three of our research product reports.
- Capacity Watch includes a regional 10-year Capacity price forecast, and in-depth analysis of current market issues.
- Energy Watch report includes reviews of market conditions, granular forecasts of pool-wide and zonal energy pricing.
- Transmission Watch analyzes regional reliability issues, congestion in the context of RTO & State transmission policies.
- Renewables Watch analyzes regulatory and market factors for solar, wind, hydroelectric, & storage for most of the Eastern United States.
- Emissions Watch provides analysis and price forecasts of the SO2, NOx and CO2 emissions markets.
- Northeast Energy Watch produces a nine-month zonal pricing forecast & analysis of policy change.
- Congestion Watch provides month-ahead assessments of the congestion component of zonal LMPs for NYISO, ISONE & PJM.
- Next-Week & Bal-Week Report provides short-term forecasts for PJM Western Hub, NY Zones A & J, ISO-NE Internal Hub.
- Natural Gas Fund Watch provides a one-week outlook and analysis of key near-term factors in the natural gas market.