Read An Abstract of the White Paper
U.S. Solar Installed Capacity Is Catching Up To Wind
The U.S wind industry has had a significant head start relative to the solar industry. By 2005, wind installations in the U.S. had almost reached 10 GW while solar installations were just below 0.5 GW (DC). By 2010, in just five years, wind installations increased to 40 GW while solar installations were just a fraction of that at only 2.6 GW. In the past ten years, wind capacity growth has been relatively steady at about 7 GW per year, with a peak addition of 13 GW in 2012.
In contrast to the steady pace of growth in the wind sector, U.S. solar capacity additions have accelerated in the past decade. Figure 1 shows that by 2020, total installed solar capacity (DC) has increased to almost 96 GW, only 19 GW short of installed wind capacity (note that on an AC basis, solar installations are approximately 80 percent lower at 77 GW).
To read rest of the white paper, please fill out the form to the right.
Macro Trends in Renewable Energy White Paper
To request this white paper, please fill in your contact details.
ESAI Power LLC
401 Edgewater Place, Suite 640
Wakefield, MA 01880
ESAI Power is a market research and consulting firm that delivers focused analysis of the wholesale power markets in the Northeast region of the US: PJM, NYISO, and ISO-NE. Since 2001, ESAI has been providing market-focused research product content and custom consulting services for Northeast power market participants including investors (banks, private equity, & hedge funds) & developers, generation owners & operators, utilities & retail electricity suppliers, regulators & RTOs, traders, and end-users & buyers.
Who We Serve
- Proposed EPA Rule Leads to Quadrupling Group 3 Ozone Season CSAPR NOx Prices | Emissions Watch Blog June 7, 2022
- RGGI Auction 56 Update: RGGI Auction Clears At $13.90 | Emissions Watch Blog June 3, 2022
- NYISO Central East Congestion to Moderate this summer | Congestion Watch Blog May 20, 2022
- ESAI Power Sponsors ACORE Renewable Energy Finance Forum | Renewables News May 17, 2022
- PJM BRA 2023/24 Capacity Price Forecast | Capacity Watch Blog May 13, 2022
- Are Power Forwards Overvalued for Summer 2022? | Energy Watch Blog May 11, 2022
- ISO-NE Proposes Ending MOPR in 2025, with a Transition Aimed at Protecting Grid Reliability | Energy News April 4, 2022
- Outage-Related Transmission Constraints to Impact Power Prices in PJM, NYISO & ISO-NE | Congestion Watch Blog March 23, 2022
- Coal Plant Owners Seek to Shut 3.2 GW in PJM in Face of Economic, Regulatory and Market Pressures | Emissions News March 22, 2022
- EPA Wastewater Rules and PJM Coal Retirements | Emissions Watch Blog March 1, 2022
- Regulations Affecting Coal Combustion Residuals (CCRs) Under EPA Rules | Energy Watch Blog February 24, 2022
- Power and Energy Markets Research Analyst February 17, 2022
- ISO-NE FCA16 Auction Parameters and Capacity Price Forecast | Capacity Watch Blog January 14, 2022
- Record LNG Exports Drive Domestic Demand | Natural Gas Watch Blog January 5, 2022
- FERC Orders PJM To Change Reserve Market Rules, Delay Capacity Auctions | Capacity News December 23, 2021