Read An Abstract of the White Paper
U.S. Solar Installed Capacity Is Catching Up To Wind
The U.S wind industry has had a significant head start relative to the solar industry. By 2005, wind installations in the U.S. had almost reached 10 GW while solar installations were just below 0.5 GW (DC). By 2010, in just five years, wind installations increased to 40 GW while solar installations were just a fraction of that at only 2.6 GW. In the past ten years, wind capacity growth has been relatively steady at about 7 GW per year, with a peak addition of 13 GW in 2012.
In contrast to the steady pace of growth in the wind sector, U.S. solar capacity additions have accelerated in the past decade. Figure 1 shows that by 2020, total installed solar capacity (DC) has increased to almost 96 GW, only 19 GW short of installed wind capacity (note that on an AC basis, solar installations are approximately 80 percent lower at 77 GW).
To read rest of the white paper, please fill out the form to the right.
Macro Trends in Renewable Energy White Paper
To request this white paper, please fill in your contact details.
ESAI Power LLC
401 Edgewater Place, Suite 640
Wakefield, MA 01880
ESAI Power is a market research and consulting firm that delivers focused analysis of the wholesale power markets in the Northeast region of the US: PJM, NYISO, and ISO-NE. Since 2001, ESAI has been providing market-focused research product content and custom consulting services for Northeast power market participants including investors (banks, private equity, & hedge funds) & developers, generation owners & operators, utilities & retail electricity suppliers, regulators & RTOs, traders, and end-users & buyers.
Who We Serve
- All Content Offers
- Clean Energy Service Brochure
- Forecast Methodology Brochure
- Free Trial Report Request Form
- Investors & Developers Brochure
- Long-Term Forecasts Brochure
- Near Term Service Brochure
- Owners & Operators Brochure
- Power Purchasing Agreements WP
- Quarterly Power Service Brochure
- Subscribe To Our Newsletter
- Utilities & Electric Suppliers Brochure
- WholeView Service Brochure
- RGGI Auction 61 – Clearing Prices Up Nearly 9% | Emissions Watch Blog September 8, 2023
- Will Virginia leave RGGI? | Emissions News August 31, 2023
- PJM Interconnection Process Update | Generation Asset Monitor Blog July 24, 2023
- NYISO Capacity Price Forecast | Capacity Watch Blog July 3, 2023
- RGGI Auction 60 – Clearing Price of $12.73/ton | Emissions Watch Blog June 9, 2023
- MISO PRA Scheduled to start April 18th | Capacity Watch Blog March 28, 2023
- Platts Global Power Markets™ Conference April 17-19 March 28, 2023
- Power and Energy Markets Analyst March 17, 2023
- Senior Research Manager March 16, 2023
- RGGI Auction 59 – Clearing Price of $12.50/ton | Emissions Watch Blog March 10, 2023
- ISO-NE FCA17 Auction Dynamics and Capacity Price Forecast | Capacity Watch Blog February 24, 2023
- PM2.5 and NAAQS Update | Emissions Watch Blog February 15, 2023
- FERC Approved PJM Queue Reform Proposal | Renewables Watch Blog February 2, 2023
- EPA Proposes Tightening Fine Particulate Matter Standard, Potentially Affecting Coal Power Plants | Emissions News January 6, 2023
- RGGI Auction 58 Clears at $12.99 | Emissions Watch Blog December 9, 2022