ESAI Power is excited to spend time with clients, partners and friends at the ACORE Finance Forum in New York on June 7th & 8th and talk through Renewable Energy Project Finance challenges and opportunities. If you’re planning to attend, please email Brian Doyle on [email protected] to schedule a meeting with our Capacity or Renewable Energy teams.
Ethan Howland reports in Utility Dive that ISO New England has proposed ending its “minimum offer price rule” in 2025, with a transition that exempts up to 700 MW of qualified state-supported capacity — or roughly 2,000 MW of nameplate capacity — from the MOPR over the next two capacity auctions. Learn what Scott Niemann, ESAI Power director and principal, says about ending the rule.
Ethan Howland reports in Utility Dive that power plant owners have started the process of potentially retiring 3,228 MW of coal-fired generation in the PJM Interconnection’s footprint this month, according to the grid operator’s generator deactivation list. Another 1,024 MW of coal shut down last year. Looking at the explanations for the planned retirements, our Julia Criscuolo, ESAI Power’s Manager of Renewables and Emissions, said about a third are driven by environmental regulations, a quarter by unfavorable economics and roughly 20% by “end of life” plant issues.
Ethan Howland reports in Utility Dive that the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on Wednesday ordered the PJM Interconnection to revise its reserve market rules, which will delay the grid operator’s upcoming capacity auction. This was a reverse of an earlier decision. In a 3-1 vote, FERC reaffirmed its previous decision to direct PJM to consolidate tier one and tier two reserve products, but said it had erred by approving changes to the grid operator’s operating reserve demand curves (ORDC), which help set the price for reserves. Our Scott Niemann, Director and Principal of ESAI Power said, “This rule change seems like a small detail, but the ripple impacts may be more significant and touch a lot of aspects of the PJM market.”
Today, ESAI Power, a market research and consulting firm, announced the immediate availability of its Renewables WatchTM Service which provides Class I REC (Renewable Energy Certificates) Price outlooks to 2030 for the ISO-NE & PJM power generation and transmission systems and the Supply & Demand Balance forecasts for the NYISO power generation and transmission system.
ESAI Power LLC
401 Edgewater Place, Suite 640
Wakefield, MA 01880
ESAI Power is a market research and consulting firm that delivers focused analysis of the wholesale power markets in the Northeast region of the US: PJM, NYISO, and ISO-NE. Since 2001, ESAI has been providing market-focused research product content and custom consulting services for Northeast power market participants including investors (banks, private equity, & hedge funds) & developers, generation owners & operators, utilities & retail electricity suppliers, regulators & RTOs, traders, and end-users & buyers.
Who We Serve
- Proposed EPA Rule Leads to Quadrupling Group 3 Ozone Season CSAPR NOx Prices | Emissions Watch Blog June 7, 2022
- RGGI Auction 56 Update: RGGI Auction Clears At $13.90 | Emissions Watch Blog June 3, 2022
- NYISO Central East Congestion to Moderate this summer | Congestion Watch Blog May 20, 2022
- ESAI Power Sponsors ACORE Renewable Energy Finance Forum | Renewables News May 17, 2022
- PJM BRA 2023/24 Capacity Price Forecast | Capacity Watch Blog May 13, 2022
- Are Power Forwards Overvalued for Summer 2022? | Energy Watch Blog May 11, 2022
- ISO-NE Proposes Ending MOPR in 2025, with a Transition Aimed at Protecting Grid Reliability | Energy News April 4, 2022
- Outage-Related Transmission Constraints to Impact Power Prices in PJM, NYISO & ISO-NE | Congestion Watch Blog March 23, 2022
- Coal Plant Owners Seek to Shut 3.2 GW in PJM in Face of Economic, Regulatory and Market Pressures | Emissions News March 22, 2022
- EPA Wastewater Rules and PJM Coal Retirements | Emissions Watch Blog March 1, 2022
- Regulations Affecting Coal Combustion Residuals (CCRs) Under EPA Rules | Energy Watch Blog February 24, 2022
- Power and Energy Markets Research Analyst February 17, 2022
- ISO-NE FCA16 Auction Parameters and Capacity Price Forecast | Capacity Watch Blog January 14, 2022
- Record LNG Exports Drive Domestic Demand | Natural Gas Watch Blog January 5, 2022
- FERC Orders PJM To Change Reserve Market Rules, Delay Capacity Auctions | Capacity News December 23, 2021